A study to Evaluate Immunoglobulins fraction by Serum Protein Electrophoresis for occurrence of Multiple Myeloma in a Tertiary Care Hospital
Background: Serum protein electrophoresis (SPE) is a diagnostic laboratory test that separates and quantifies several classes of serum proteins and that identifies and characterizes the monoclonal gammopathies (M-protein).
Aims and Objective:This study was taken up with an aim to evaluate the relevance and significance of immunoglobulin fraction in discerning multiple myeloma and to assess the morbidity of cases in relation to its clinical diagnosis.
Materials and Method:This study was carried out by analysing data with gamma globulins above biological reference range (0.6-1.6gm/dL) from the samples requested for serum protein electrophoresis by cellulose acetate method during Sept 2013 to Aug 2014 in St. Johns medical college biochemistry lab, Bengaluru (Total of 95 cases). Densitometrically estimated M proteins were further divided into 2 groups of below and above 3gm/dL according to the IMWG criteria for classification of Multiple myeloma.
Result: Out of 95 cases, 55(57.9 %) were above 3gm/dL and the remaining 40(42.1%) were below 3gm/dL. Among those 95 cases 18 were confirmed with multiple myeloma. 13 out of 18 cases fall among the group where gamma globulin is > 3g/dL with 81% of them having gamma above 4g/dL. Five cases of multiple myeloma had also been confirmed with their gamma globulins falling below 3g/dL which is compelling.
Conclusion:The significance of elevated gamma globulins value less than the prescribed criteria of IMWG for diagnosing Multiple myeloma gave us importance of clinical correlation before releasing report. Though the morbidity percentage (20%) of multiple myeloma among the group with gamma globulins less than 3gm/dL, is less but nevertheless significant.More number of studies with large sample numbers is required to understand the cases of multiple myeloma with their gamma globulins falling below the IMWG criteria cut off limit.
Copyright (c) 2017 International Journal of Biomedical Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- An author must submit Copyright form After acceptance of the article.